Sunday, December 2, 2012

PSY's job is to "Gangnam Style" all day and every day

PSY's job is to "Gangnam Style" all day and every day
By Francine Lim, channelnewsasia.com | Posted: 02 December 2012 0009 hrs
     
SINGAPORE: South Korean sensation PSY was nothing but PSYched to perform his first concert in Singapore as part of a whirlwind concert tour.

The YouTube sensation PSY whose real name is Park Jae-Sang, hit the stage for a special Marina Bay Sands (MBS) "Give Back to Singapore" public show, just hours after landing in Singapore on Saturday afternoon.

The crowd at the MBS Event Plaza had to wait a while for the appearance of the "Gangnam Style" star who had a week's worth of activities around Asia.

"I get tired because of all the requests, an average (of) fifty requests per country, but still the dance allows me to come here," said PSY with a wry smile as he faced the eager media.

"I get tired but I gotta do it," he added.

"Sometimes, honestly, yes, I get tired or I get sick of it because I got so many requests to teach them," said the South Korean singer who was clad in a black suit and his trademark sunglasses.

But PSY said that despite the many times he has performed the number, he still "really like the dance."

This week alone, the South Korean sensation was whoop-whooping in Bangkok at the "Gangnam Style Thailand Extra Live" concert to commemorate the Thai King's 85th birthday, before heading up to Hong Kong where he brought the house down at the 2012 MNet Asian Music Awards (MAMA).

The annual award show saw PSY taking home four awards, including the Favourite International Artist, Best Music Video, Best Dance Performance Solo and Song of the Year, so naysayers who believe that "Gangnam Style" is just a one-hit wonder with a chubby man horsing around, need to think again.

"Usually K-Pop is known for their boy bands and girl bands and most of them are really skinny and I'm not skinny. I am proud to get big fame with this body!" said PSY when he met the media before his show at MBS.

"In the last three days, I've traveled three countries, so the schedule is really tight. But I never lost the weight! " he chuckled.

The 34-year-old star, who made YouTube history with his "Gangnam Style" music video clocking over 850 million views to become the most-watched video of all time on the site, still remains pretty grounded, even with his latest honour -- a nomination in the People's Choice category of Time magazine's Person of the Year 2012 contest.

"I'm really honoured to be a candidate...(but) I'm just doing my job," declared PSY while expressing his surprise at the nomination.

With other newsmakers such as US President Barack Obama, China's Communist Party head Xi Jinping and North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un also nominated for the same award, PSY played down his chances of topping that chart.

"I feel really strange and weird (as to) why I'm there," he said.

"It's not going to happen, I think, and I don't deserve that much. I just did my job," added PSY, who is currently fourth in the online rankings out of 40 candidates.

- CNA/AFP/sf


- wong chee tat :)

No comments: