Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Five Precepts

The Five Precepts

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Precepts

Pali texts
Pali literature provides the scriptures and commentary for traditional Theravadin practice.


[edit] Pali training rules
The following are the five precepts (pañca-sikkhāpada)[2] or five virtues (pañca-sīla) rendered in English and Pali:

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life. Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given. Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
3. I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct. Kāmesu micchācāra veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech. Musāvāda veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from drinks and drugs that cause heedlessness.[3] Surā-meraya-majja-pamādaṭṭhānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.[4]

Chinese texts
The Chinese version as found in the Supplement to the Canon (續藏經 Xùzàng Jīng) hardly differs from the Pali:

As the Buddha refrained from killing until the end of his life, so I too will refrain from killing until the end of my life.
如諸佛盡壽不殺生,我某甲亦盡壽不殺生
As the Buddha refrained from stealing until the end of his life, so I too will refrain from stealing until the end of my life.
如諸佛盡壽不偷盜,我某甲亦盡壽不偷盜
As the Buddha refrained from sexual misconduct until the end of his life, so I too will refrain from sexual misconduct until the end of my life.
如諸佛盡壽不淫欲,我某甲亦盡壽不邪淫
As the Buddha refrained from false speech until the end of his life, so I too will refrain from false speech until the end of my life.
如諸佛盡壽不妄語;我某甲亦盡壽不妄語
As the Buddha refrained from alcohol until the end of his life, so I too will refrain from alcohol until the end of my life.
如諸佛盡壽不飲酒,我某甲亦盡壽不飲酒

- wong chee tat :)

No comments: